Inclusive. Forward-looking. Fair. Creative. Safe. Green.Fun. There’s no end of words to describe what we want our communities and country to be. But there’s one word that sums it all up. Vital. The vitality of our communities, or community vitality, is something community foundations care about a great deal. Community vitality is the unique spirit that flourishes when people believe their community holds possibilities for everyone. And it can be measured by how well people’s needs are being met: from our most basic needs—sustenance, shelter, health care, safety—to those that give quality to life, such as places and opportunities to play, learn and create.
All signs point to stronger communities. To us, the best sign for Canada’s communities—our vision for them—is that they are strong and getting stronger. What would this mean?
A vital community is one that:
• Includes and offers opportunities to everyone
• Has the knowledge and ability needed to help shape its own future for generations to come
• Can meet its most important needs, challenges and opportunities, today and in the future
• Is filled with people who are interested and engaged in finding ways to make their community a more vital place to live, work and play
In our vision, our communities are ready to address pressing problems like poverty, unemployment, hunger and housing. And all citizens are able to benefit from the best a community can offer: the arts, recreation, health care, education, safe and inclusive neighbourhoods and a healthy environment.
Canada’s Community Foundations do three key things to build community vitality:
• Vitality depends on long-term resources for long-term solutions—so we work with donors to build endowment funds that ensure vital futures for communities.
• Vitality comes from all corners of a community, so we grant funds to the widest possible range of organizations and initiatives.
• Vitality needs leadership, so we bring people together from all parts of our communities to stimulate new ideas, build participation and strengthen community philanthropy.
And while there are many organizations working for better communities, a few important factors make our approach special:
• We bring donors to the table as community builders, and help them formulate and realize their philanthropic goals, matching their interests and concerns with community needs and organizations, and finding innovative and responsible ways to give their investments lasting impact.
• We take the broadest view of what a community is and what it needs to succeed. This is why our grants support everything from shelter, sustenance and care for those most in need, to recreation, the arts, and the environment.
• We take the long-term view for our communities: we identify long-term needs and opportunities and invest in sustainable solutions, helping our communities become resilient, resourceful, and ready for the future they want.
1. We are a local organization with deep roots in the community, and part of a nationwide movement whose support we build and share.
2. We bring donors to the table as community builders, working closely with them to align their philanthropic vision with the community’s needs.
3. We identify long-term needs and opportunities and invest in solutions that let our communities guide their own future.
4. We take a broad and inclusive view of what a community is, and provide grants to the widest possible range of organizations and initiatives.
5. We provide a customized service, accepting a wide variety of assets and offering donors maximum tax advantage.
6. We build permanent funds and those that can respond to immediate needs, helping our communities ensure vital futures.
7. We multiply the impact of gift dollars by pooling them with other gifts.
8. We believe that diversity is strength, so we bring the entire community together to stimulate new ideas, build participation and strengthen community philanthropy.
9. We are transparent and reputable stewards of community resources, committed to being accountable, accessible and responsive.
10. We build community vitality – the unique and essential spirit that flourishes when people believe their community holds possibilities for everyone.
104, 430 – 6th Avenue S.E.
Medicine Hat, Alberta T1A 2S8
Phone: (403) 527 9038
Fax: (403) 527 9204
Charitable Registration Number 136030285RR0001